News: Transfer of Authority
KANDAHAR PROVINCE, Afghanistan - Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 15 transferred authority of Camp Toles to NMCB 28 during a morning ceremony at Kandahar Air Field, Sept. 18, 2013.
Cmdr. Anthony Spinler, commanding officer, NMCB 15 and Cmdr. Curtis Smith, commanding officer, NMCB 28 exchanged salutes before command master chiefs from both battalions conducted the transition of the Battalion Equipment Evaluation Program (BEEP) to signify the official transfer of authority.
Guests of honor were Col. Nicholas Katers, commander, Joint Task Force (JTF) Triple Nickel, and Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin Bryan. “As part of Joint Task Force Triple Nickel, NMCB 15 completed more than 53 construction projects across the theater,” said Katers. He added that 34 of those had been top priority projects in the past.
“I’m really proud of my Seabees,” Spinler said. “We tackled some very difficult projects with a great deal of pride.” He went on to say that they completed most of their projects ahead of schedule.
“The major runway extension at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Ghazni added a much needed intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability to Regional Command East, and allowed the brigade’s route clearance patrols to be better supported while on mission,” Katers said.
NMCB 15 poured more than 2,000 cubic yards of concrete to extend the existing runway by 1,500 feet.
Smith said that it will be a privilege to serve alongside the men and women of Joint Task Force Triple Nickel, and to be relieving NMCB 15 who has just completed an overwhelmingly successful deployment.
Seabees attached to NMCB 28 spent three months at Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme, Calif., conducting homeport training in preparation for this deployment.
“We could not be more prepared to support the mission in front of us,” Smith said. "It is truly an honor to be leading a fully combat ready navy construction battalion down range."