(e.g. yourname@email.com)

Forgot Password?

    Or login with Facebook

    Illegal to photocopy DOD Common Access Card



    Story by Ethan Morgan 

    100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs

    RAF MILDENHALL, England -- Many commercial businesses and agencies request service members to provide them with a copy of their military ID as proof of service for benefits and other special considerations.

    However, most people do not know that it's illegal to photocopy a Department of Defense-issued identification card.

    According to Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701, the photocopying of military identification is illegal and violations of this law are punishable by a fine or imprisonment.

    Section 701 states any engraving, photograph, print or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

    This law and regulation is not just meant for military members. All DOD employees, dependents and any other civilians whether they are associated with a government agency or not must comply as well.

    "The restrictions apply to anyone who has received a Geneva Convention Card, whether or not you are civilian or military," said Master Sgt. Rosalba Zapata, 100th Force Support Squadron Military Personnel Section customer support section chief. "The restrictions are geared toward the card itself and those who carry it."

    If asked, members can show their military status by accessing their Virtual MPF and printing a proof of service letter, located under Self-Service Actions/Personal Data. This can be accompanied with a state driver's license if photo ID is required.

    Other alternative options for providing a commercial entity proof of service include:

    - State-issued photo ID along with a proof of service or letter, or signed letter from unit commander

    - Written statement of verification of military service from member's chain of command (no form letter provided; just a signed letter confirming member's current military status)

    - Statement of Service from local personnel office - signed letter confirming military status

    Note: If using a letter of service verification, ensure the service member's social security number is not included.

    For more information, call the MPS at DSN 238-2479.



    Date Taken: 04.13.2012
    Date Posted: 06.25.2012 12:25
    Story ID: 90550

    Web Views: 392
    Downloads: 3
    Podcast Hits: 0