(e.g. yourname@email.com)

Forgot Password?

    Or login with Facebook

    123rd Fighter Squadron Says Farewell to Last Charter Member

    Fred Parish Memorial Ceremony

    Photo By Master Sgt. Steven Conklin | Lt. Col. Nick Rutgers, 123rd Fighter Squadron Commander, and Chief Master Sgt. Mike...... read more read more



    Story by Master Sgt. Steven Conklin 

    142nd Fighter Wing Public Affairs

    OREGON CITY, ORE. The 123 rd Fighter Squadron said their final goodbyes to their last
    remaining founding member, Fred Parish, September 8, 2019, at a memorial service
    last weekend. Fred Parish of La Grande, Oregon, passed away on July 7, 2019 at the
    age of 98.
    Fred was one of 117 Oregonians that chartered the 123 rd Observation Squadron
    “Redhawks”, which today has become the 123 rd Fighter Squadron based out of
    Portland, Ore.
    “Fred Parish was a valued founding father of the Redhawks,” said Lt. Col. Nick Rutgers,
    123 rd Fighter Squadron Commander. “Fred’s warrior ethos and passion for the
    organization has helped weave the fabric of success that will undoubtedly continue into
    the future.”
    He was born September 1, 1920 in Portland, Oregon, to Robert A. Parish Sr. and Annie
    H. Parish and graduated from Franklin High School there.
    Tech. Sgt. Fred Parish initially entered military service in the U.S. Army Air Corps in
    April 1941. He was a medic assigned to the 123rd Observation Squadron, which
    became the first Oregon Air National Guard unit following WWII.
    Brig. Gen. Donna Prigmore, Oregon Air National Guard Commander, remarked on
    Fred’s impact to the organization. “The Oregon Air National Guard has been an integral
    part of the nation's air defense since 1941, and Fred was at the cutting edge of that
    success. He was a brave and motivated man who helped pave the way for our future,
    and for that, we will always be grateful.”
    During his time in service, Fred served as a WWII medic in the China Burma India
    Theater of Operations. His efforts enabled critical photo reconnaissance needed to
    thwart the Japanese advance through China and over “the Hump” to India and Eastern
    Europe. Of note, on one occasion Parish vaccinated over 6,000 newly arriving troops in
    less than 24 hours. In addition, Tech. Sgt. Parish was recognized for his efforts to
    rescue a pilot from a burning aircraft at Gray Field, WA.
    Fred’s awards include the Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Ribbon, and
    Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon with 2 Bronze Battle Stars. He was in the Army’s Officer
    Training School when WWII came to a sudden end. Fred, along with many other officer
    candidates in his class, was returned to his Non-Commissioned Officer rank, where he
    finished out his service until his discharge in October 1945.
    After military service, Fred made significant efforts to locate former members of the
    123rd Observation Squadron and involve them in Oregon National Guard Heritage. He
    was instrumental in the coordination of the first Oregon Air National Guard reunion for
    the 50th Anniversary, and the subsequent anniversaries leading up to the 75th.

    “While Boy Scouting and rotary were a huge part of his life, there is no question that
    his service in the 123 rd (Observation Squadron) and World War II were the dominant
    events in his life,” said Roger Parish, Fred’s oldest son. “More than anything else
    combined, he talked about his experience in the Oregon National Guard.”

    Fred is survived by his two sons, Roger (& Kathy) Parish and Brian (& Connie) Parish,
    his grandsons Ted, Chris, and Geoff Parish, and granddaughter Shirley Shold. He has
    six great grandchildren: Taylor, David, Kira, Conner, Abigail, and Grace. His wife of 64
    years, Loreta, passed away in 2012.



    Date Taken: 09.08.2019
    Date Posted: 09.12.2019 14:29
    Story ID: 340195
    Location: OR, US

    Web Views: 44
    Downloads: 1
    Podcast Hits: 0