(e.g. yourname@email.com)

Forgot Password?

    Or login with Facebook

    Typhoon damage may qualify for claims



    Story by Lance Cpl. Peter Sanders 

    III Marine Expeditionary Force   

    CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — When a typhoon strikes, there may be little left untouched by the storm. Even when proper measures are taken to secure and protect personal property, items may still suffer damage or destruction in the wake. If this occurs, there are steps one can take.

    Capt. Sean P. Raymond, deputy installation law attorney with the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Marine Corps Installations Pacific, offered some insight on how to minimize damage and properly claim losses after the storm.

    One of the most important steps one can take is to properly prepare before the storm arrives, according to Raymond.

    “Actions such as properly securing items, stocking-up on nonperishable food items, and securing the home are the first steps to minimizing damage,” said Raymond.

    During the preparation, taking pictures of items that may be affected by storm damage can prove proper steps were taken to avoid unnecessary storm damage and loss, according to Raymond.

    Once the storm has passed and cleanup begins, it is important to remember to avoid throwing away any damaged items until authorized to do so by claims personnel, according to Judy A. Barney, the claims supervisor with the Office of the SJA, MCIPAC. As soon as possible, take pictures of all damaged items for future use during the claims process.

    Anything vulnerable to the wind can, and often will, become part of the storm’s casualties, according to Barney.

    “Some of the most common items damaged by severe storms such as typhoons are outdoor items such as grills, sheds and vehicles,” said Barney.

    If a vehicle is damaged in a typhoon, a minimum of two repair estimates from any garage is required. If there are no used parts available, the estimate must contain a statement saying so. Although the SJA cannot recommend or discourage specific garages, it is recommended claimants shop around for repair costs, according to Barney.

    There is a maximum of $3,000 per claim, per incident, not per vehicle. A typhoon victim should also keep in mind the military sponsor owns all vehicles in the household, therefore all vehicles in a household damaged in a storm fall under the same claim, Barney added.

    Those with other damaged items from a typhoon have two years from the time of the incident to make a claim; however, it is in the potential claimant’s best interest to file the claim as soon as damage is determined, according to Raymond.

    After filing a claim, expect it to take up to 90 days to process, according to Barney. Marine Corps claims must process through Marine Corps Headquarters, Quantico, Va., before being returned to disaster victims.

    Claims for items except food will need the following documentation:
    Forms DD 1842 and 1844
    Direct deposit form
    Power of attorney
    (if applicable)
    Estimates of repair and/or replacement cost validation, including photos
    Proof that property was properly secured, including pictures
    Claims for food spoilage require the following:
    Forms DD 1842 and 1844
    Direct deposit form
    Certification of nonavailability of private insurance
    Power of attorney
    Pictures of the discarded items
    Itemization of food loss (with description and cost of each item)
    D13 food safety list
    D2 disaster claims checklist – individual family information

    All forms and checklists are available through your claims office, according to Barney. Disaster victims are encouraged to call their claims office prior to arriving to ensure all forms are correctly filled out.

    Military and civilian personnel must submit claims through their respective service, according to Barney. For personnel attempting to file a claim or obtain more information about filing a claim, below is a list of respective services’ numbers.

    Air Force claims – call 634-1662 or visit Bldg. 15, Kadena Air Base.
    Navy claims – call 634-8235 or visit Bldg. 3554, Kadena Air Base.
    Army claims – call 644-4742, 644-5213 or visit Bldg. 218, Torii Station.

    Marine claims, including civilians assigned to Marine Corps units – call 645-9429, 645-7460 or visit Bldg. 1, Camp Foster and ask for the Office of the SJA.



    Date Taken: 10.11.2013
    Date Posted: 10.10.2013 22:31
    Story ID: 115047
    Hometown: CUDAHY, WI, US

    Web Views: 57
    Downloads: 0
    Podcast Hits: 0