JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. - The Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst Tax Center is set to open for business Feb. 8, 2013, here.
The tax center staff provides free tax assistance to all qualifying active-duty service members, retirees and military dependents. Active-duty service members and dependents have priority at the tax center. Retirees and dependents will be taken on a space-available basis.
Attorneys and volunteers will provide assistance filing current and prior-year individual income tax returns throughout the year, according to Air Force Instruction 51-504 1.4.14. "Taxes."
"The goal of the tax center is to provide a convenient place for our community members to save fees they would incur filing taxes with a commercial accountant," said Air Force Staff Sgt. Jadale Staten, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst Legal Office paralegal and tax center noncommissioned officer in charge.
The tax center currently has more than 40 volunteers and is accepting more.
"Volunteering to prepare taxes is an opportunity to provide a valuable service to our military community and to learn a life-long skill set," said Air Force Capt. Sosa Thomas, JB MDL Legal Office chief of preventive law. "Preparing taxes is also a chance to meet new people and possibly gain some tax law insight."
Volunteers must be certified through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program to assist customers with tax assistance. The VITA program prepares volunteers to address military-specific tax issues.
The Tax Center is located at 2907 Tuskegee Airmen Ave. and will be open for appointments Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. until mid-April. Walk-in appointments are also available Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To have tax returns prepared on a walk-in basis, community members must:
– File as single or married filing jointly.
– Be under 65 years of age and not blind at the end of 2011, unless the person is only taking the standard deduction.
– Not claim dependents.
– Not receive any advanced Earned Income Credit payments.
– Only have wages, salary, tips, taxable scholarships or fellowship grants, unemployment compensation or Alaska permanent fund dividends.
– Not have taxable interest exceeding $1,500.
– Not claim any adjustments to income.
– Only claim EIC.
Joint base community members should receive their tax returns in approximately two to three weeks after filing their taxes here.
Community members must bring the following paperwork to file their 2012 tax return:
– A filled out Form 13614-C, "Intake/Interview Quality Review Sheet," one day prior to a scheduled appointment (it may be dropped off or emailed to JBMDLTaxCenter@gmail.com).
– Military ID.
– Social Security cards for themselves, spouses and children.
– All W-2s.
– Form 1099.
– Routing and accounting numbers.
Clients can find a digital copy of Form 13614-C at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13614c.pdf.
Service members and civilians within the joint base community interested in VITA training, becoming a volunteer tax assistant or setting up an appointment should call the Joint Base Legal Office at 754-2010.
LEAVE A COMMENT
JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, NJ, US
This work, JB MDL Tax Center to provide free assistance, by A1C Sean Crowe, identified by DVIDS, is free of known copyright restrictions under U.S. copyright law.