News Icon

News: Col. Daughtry and His Staff are Set Ablaze

Story by 1st Lt. Michael WilberSmall RSS IconSubscriptions Icon

Col. Daughtry and His Staff are Set Ablaze 1st Lt. Michael Wilber

Col. Hugh Daughtry, 145 Mission Support Group Commander, puts on his mask in preparation to take part in a structural live burn exercise, to gain a better understanding of the duties and tasks of the personnel of the 145 CES.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - At the recent reception for the pinning of Maj. Gen. Robert Stonestreet, I heard in passing, “They’re going to catch Col. Daughtry, his XO and First Shirt on fire.” As a DoD trained Public Affairs professional this sounded like news to me. I hurried to find the source of these statements, to determine their truth and possibly alert the authorities. As it turns out, the authorities were in on it.

Upon taking command of the 145 Mission Support Group, Col. Hugh Daughtry wanted to increase his knowledge of what his Civil Engineering Squadron did and went through. “I had experience with FSS, LRS and Comm.; and I was least familiar with CE. I put out a challenge to Lt. Col. (Gregory) Walters to help me experience what his people go through” said Col. Daughtry. “I wanted to get a feel for their job.”

One of the “experiences” Walters arranged was for Daughtry to go through a structural live burn exercise. Here firefighters set a controlled blaze in a structure and practice searching for victims while handling firefighting equipment in a hot, smoke filled environment. This was the first fire at the new training structure. Base Fire Chief, Daryl Cook would lead Daughtry, his Executive Officer, 2nd Lt. Karen Weimorts, and his First Shirt, Master Sgt. Tracie Rankin into the “burning” building and spray some water around.

Their first task was to suite up. Each donned thick silver pants, insulated rubber boots, thick silver jacket, full faced SCUBA looking mask, NASCAR looking head sock, heavy helmet with shield, commercial grade oven mitts and a backpack with an air tank. Just getting ready gave them even more respect for firefighters. Dressed as if for the North Pole, these guys wear this into an oven?

As the group entered the building, the supporting firefighters had set the fire in another room behind a closed door and prepositioned the fire hose so they wouldn’t need to drag that through the building. Relatively clear of smoke, this is where Cook explained how the firefighters sweep a room in low to no visibility, while remaining in contact with each other as well as not becoming disoriented. The group went through the door and crawled toward the fire.

Behind door number two, the prize. In a large metal basket, the firefighters had set ablaze several pallets and hay bales. The smoke was thick halfway down the wall, but the air was relatively clear below that. Cook explained the heat and smoke are higher in the room, which is why they have been crawling through the structure.

Next Cook offered some experience spraying the fire. On the floor in 62 lbs. of gear, this was still a bit of a challenge, and when the water hit the fire, this posed even more issues. He explained that, “When the water hits the flame, the water expands into steam. These molecules are larger than the air molecules and push the heat and smoke to the floor.” This caused limited visibility, no more than a foot or two off the floor.

Someone in the group asked, “What would happen if we didn’t have this gear on.” Cook replied, “If you stood up and took your mask off, your face would melt off.” Weimorts commented on how well the suit worked. Cook then explained, “Because the suits are so effective, firefighters have to be cautious of a false sense of security. You could be in a room with no smoke, but could still be hotter than an oven.”

After exiting the building, the team began to take off all of their gear.

Now that he’s been through the exercise, excited and smiling, Daughtry said, “It’s impressive what they do.”

Weimorts continued, “What firefighters go through… go in with low visibility and do their job [saving lives and property]… it’s incredible.”

Connected Media
ImagesCol. Daughtry and His...
Col. Hugh Daughtry, 145 Mission Support Group Commander,...
ImagesCol. Daughtry and His...
A view inside the building during the first structural...
ImagesCol. Daughtry and His...
Master Sgt. Tracie Rankin, Col. Hugh Daughtry and 2nd...

Web Views

Podcast Hits

Public Domain Mark
This work, Col. Daughtry and His Staff are Set Ablaze, by 1st Lt. Michael Wilber, identified by DVIDS, is free of known copyright restrictions under U.S. copyright law.

Date Taken:06.04.2011

Date Posted:06.04.2011 15:57

Location:CHARLOTTE, NC, USGlobe

More Like This

  • "We've been busy," said Air Force Lt. Col. Gregory Walters when asked what his unit, the 474th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, has been up to since arriving at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay last August.
  • “I grew up on a farm. I always wanted to be outside,” reflected 26-year-old Beau Neal on his experience with agriculture during an interview in southern Afghanistan on March 7, 2012.
  • “I was exactly where I wanted to be, doing exactly what I wanted to do,” said Gunnery Sgt. Joseph F. Lurz, a native of Baltimore.
  • Erik Landrum, 50th Space Wing visual information illustrator, was riding his bike around the base perimeter Sept. 3 when he came upon a strange sight - a large bird of prey, with a bad attitude, stumbling in all directions. 

"I'd never seen anything like it," he said. "The bird was extremely agitated and I could tell it was trying to fly away, but something wasn't right. As I approached, it grew even more angry. It hissed and flapped its wings, but obviously wasn't doing what it wanted to do. It was big too. When it stretched its wings out, they spanned the width of the trail." 

Landrum guessed that the bird was injured, but he wasn't sure what steps he should take next. After carefully backing away, he called his coworkers in an effort to find a contact number for the appropriate responders. 

Meanwhile, a vehicle approached. It was 50th Mission Support Group Commander, Col. Brian Barthel, who was conducting a perimeter check following recent heavy rains in the area. Barthel contacted the 50th Civil Engineer Squadron Environmental Flight and asked them to come out to the scene. 

Andy Jensen, 50 CES natural resource manager, arrived on scene shortly after and quickly surveyed the situation. He identified the bird as a large Ferruginous Hawk, still in a futile attempt to take flight and immediately began rescue efforts. 

"As soon as we approached the hawk, it reared back and showed its talons, its main defense mechanism," he said. "Capturing it was quite an ordeal. Hawks are aggressive predators. Their talons and beaks are sharp. We had to take great care to make sure we didn't injure ourselves."

Scared and confused, the hawk vigorously resisted capture, but Jensen and Pamela Rosinski, 50 CES contractor managed to corner the bird at the fence line near the base's southwest corner. Using a large net with a telescoping pole, Jensen captured the bird. 

Perhaps the most difficult step came when he and Rosinski began placing the bird in a large dog kennel for transport.

"It didn't want to go in," Jensen said. "I was wearing protective gloves with steel safety tips, otherwise I wouldn't even have tried. "We've captured injured owls before, but they are mostly docile. This thing, on the other hand, was extremely aggressive. It was difficult to control and it kept grabbing a hold of the pole we were using to put it into the kennel. After a long struggle, we finally managed to get it in the kennel."

The hawk was no less angry during the 20-minute ride to the Ellicott Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. It squawked and banged against the sides of the kennel during the entire trip. 

Once he arrived at EWRC, Jensen made the final transfer. He was relieved to be done with the ordeal.

Except it was far from finished.

Staff members at the EWRC examined the hawk soon after, but had trouble making a diagnosis. The hawk ate, moved and otherwise exhibited normal behavior. It even managed to bite through one of the staffer's protective gloves. After a day at the center, staff members guessed the bird had been stunned after flying into the fence. They called Jensen and told him it was ready to be picked up and released.

Jensen picked up the hawk, now identified as a female, on Sept. 5, but when he opened the kennel back up at Schriever, she refused to leave. 

"We coaxed her out, but she failed in every attempt to fly again," Jensen. "We knew she wasn't going to survive in the condition she was in, so were forced to recapture her."

This time the hawk ran to the point of exhaustion 

Jensen and Rosinski followed in their truck, circled the bird, and once again, threw a net around it.

"The second capture was much easier," Jensen said. "She really didn't want to be back out there."

They transported her back to EWRC, where staffers re-examined and determined the hawk had a dislocated and bruised wing. 

On Sept. 16, EWRC owner Donna Ralph said the hawk was recovering nicely.

She is flying in 20-foot aviary now and will soon be moved to a 50-foot aviary to continue physical therapy.

Ralph could not say when the hawk will be ready to be introduced to Schriever again, but 
Jensen said the incident presented several lessons for Schriever members. First, do not attempt to make contact with a wild bird or animal. Second, when encountering wildlife that seems to be injured or behaving abnormally on base, back away from the area and contact the 50 CES Environmental Flight.

"We've also recently heard reports from people who have encountered rattle snakes on base trails," he said. "The best advice we have for people in this circumstance is the same, back away and leave the area. We don't see too many snakes, but like much of wildlife, this is their home. They don't like humans, so as long as you don't approach them, you'll avoid risking injury. The best tactic for alleviating the situation is to leave the animal alone."

Once the hawk has recovered, Jensen plans to release her near the point she was captured on the southwest side of the base. 

For information on wildlife at Schriever or to report an injured animal, contact Jensen at 567-3360.


  • Army
  • Marines
  • Navy
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard
  • National Guard




  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube
  • Flickr