YOKOSUKA, Japan — Submarine Group 7 held a change of command ceremony in the Fleet Theater at Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Aug. 17, 2026.
U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Gary Montalvo relieved U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Lincoln Reifsteck as Commander, Submarine Group (CSG) 7, which also serves as Task Force 54 and Task Force 74.
Across Reifsteck’s tenure, he spearheaded the undersea effort by establishing a higher level of situational awareness of the undersea domain in support of Joint Force operations and increased undersea capabilities between regional allies and partners, strengthening the undersea warfighter presence in the 5th and 7th Fleet areas of responsibilities.
“I have such deep respect for the staff, their dedication and what we accomplished,” said Reifsteck. “Our team delivered results all over the world, including theater and national level tasks in 7th Fleet, and combat operations in 5th and 7th Fleet. We also built future war plans and trained the Joint Force on how to employ the undersea force to win wars.”
U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Katie Sheldon, vice commander, U.S. 7th Fleet, presided over the change of command ceremony and Vice Adm. Naoya Hoshi, commander, Fleet Submarine Force, Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF), presented a 1st Grade Defense Cooperation Medal to Reifsteck on behalf of Adm. Akira Saito, chief of staff, JMSDF. This recognition highlighted Reifsteck’s commitment to advancing cooperation between Japanese and U.S. submarine forces.
During the ceremony, Reifsteck expressed his gratitude towards the allies and partners he worked alongside with. “While I am so proud of our team of professionals, I am also grateful and humbled to have been able to contribute to this region with our allies and partners,” said Reifsteck. “Most notably we have built deep bonds of trust, interoperability, and eagerness to partner and to meet each country’s needs.”
Under Reifsteck’s command, CSG 7 integrated anti-submarine assets in 48 high interest theater undersea warfare (TUSW) operations, maintained 18 fast-attack submarines and two submarine tenders, deployed 10 submarines, enabled 37 port visits, and coordinated voyage repair periods and continuous maintenance availabilities, ensuring successful submarine missions in two areas of responsibilities. Furthermore, with the support of his staff, he led operations and engagements with six partner nations developing advanced interoperability and cooperation in the undersea domain.
Montalvo, now the 52nd commander of CSG 7, thanked Reifsteck for his time as Commander of Submarine Group 7, emphasized the importance of the command, its people and ended his remarks with, “Let’s buckle up and let’s get to it.”
Reifsteck, a Fairfield, California native, will continue his service in Washington D.C. as Director, Strategic Integration. Montalvo, a Puerto Rico native, previously served as Director of Maritime Headquarters and Sustainment at Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
CSG 7 traces its history back to Capt. F.W. Scanland, who commanded Submarine Flotilla 7 from September 14, 1954 to January 13, 1955.
CSG 7 directs forward-deployed, combat capable forces across the full spectrum of undersea warfare throughout the Western Pacific, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea.
For more news from Commander, Submarine Group 7, visit www.csp.navy.mil/csg7/