News: South Carolina National Guard donates food to Harvest Hope
Story by Staff Sgt. Tracci Dorgan
MCENTIRE JOINT NATIONAL GUARD BASE, EASTOVER, S.C. – Members of the South Carolina National Guard donated more than 1,600 pounds of food to the local Harvest Hope Food Bank in Columbia, S.C., Nov. 22.
Master Sgt. Tony Barfield and Master Sgt. John Jones, members of the 169th Fighter Wing, organized the food collection. Donation boxes were set up around base and a "drive by" food drop was held at the front and back gates for two mornings in November.
“The drive by went well and there was good participation,” said Barfield. “We wanted to try something different, to get out in front of people. It was good to be out there, because even if they didn’t bring in food at the gate we reminded them to bring it the next day.”
“We will be doing it all again for Christmas. And we have got to get started soon, our goal is 2,500 pounds,” added Barfield.
Chris Daley, Harvest Hope Chief Operating Officer, said there are so many people in need this year because of the state of the economy. According to Harvest Hope the demand for food has gone up 45 percent since this season last year, but the amount of donated food had gone down. A donation this size will is very helpful.
“I’m thankful that God has allowed us to do this for folks who are less fortunate in the community,” said Jones. “It was a great opportunity for the S.C.N.G. to support the community that supports us.”