Maintenance window scheduled to begin at February 14th 2200 est. until 0400 est. February 15th


Forgot Password?

    Or login with Facebook
    Defense Visual Information Distribution Service Logo

    Direct Deposit puts the power in retirees’ hands



    Story by Damon Hill 

    Defense Finance and Accounting Service

    CLEVELAND – Direct deposit is the most efficient, timely and secure way to receive pay. It eliminates the possibility of a lost or stolen check and reduces the opportunity for identity theft.

    “The advantages of direct deposit are numerous,” said Jeffery Presley, Director of Retired and Annuitant Pay. “With direct deposit, retirees will have access to their pay check on payday without wasting time and gas to travel to the bank and eliminate the risk of lost or stolen checks, forged signatures and identity theft.”

    How to Start Direct Deposit

    For customers with a myPay account, simply log into myPay at and enter the bank routing and account numbers under the Pay Changes section. The change will be updated to the pay system in five-to-seven business days.

    Military retirees and annuitants without a myPay account can find the Fast Start Direct Deposit form at This form must be completed and sent to: [Update May 2, 2018]
    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    U.S. Military Retired Pay 
    8899 E 56th Street 
    Indianapolis, IN  46249-1200

    DFAS, U.S. Military Retired Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130

    Former spouses of military retirees can find more information about setting up direct deposit at

    Military members or civilian employees paid by DFAS should contact their base finance office, employer's customer service representative, payroll liaison, or human resources office to start direct deposit if they’re unable to access myPay.

    Those needing additional assistance can call DFAS customer service at 1-800-321-1080 for retirees and annuitants; or 1-888-332-7411 for military and civilian employees.

    How to Update Direct Deposit

    There are two ways to update direct deposit information, myPay or direct mail. This process requires having a bank routing number, account number, and type of account (checking or savings) readily available.


    For those living within the United States and certain U.S. territories, enroll in direct deposit through myPay. Those without a myPay account can use the troubleshooting instructions at to create one.
    1. Go to the myPay web site, and log into your account using the “Log In” box at the top left-hand side of your screen
    2. Click Accept on the Terms of Use Agreement
    3. On the Main Menu Page, find the Direct Deposit link
    4. Enter your Routing Number, your account number, account type and financial institution
    5. Save your changes and close out the screen or use the link at the top of the page in the gray bar to return to the main menu
    6. Your account will be updated in three-to-seven business days
    If you have problems remembering your login ID or password, consult the “Forgot Your Login ID?” or “Forgot or Need a Password?” link. You can also contact myPay at 888-332-7411 (option 5) to speak to a customer service representative.

    Paper Form

    Complete a Direct Deposit Enrollment Form (FMS 2231) located at and mail or fax it to:

    For Retirees
    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    U.S. Military Retired Pay
    8899 E 56th Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200
    Fax: 800-469-6559

    For annuitants, beneficiaries and survivors
    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
    8899 E 56th Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46249-1300
    Fax: 800-982-8459

    Keep in mind that it can take 30-60 days to process a paper form.



    Date Taken: 07.22.2015
    Date Posted: 08.11.2015 16:35
    Story ID: 172807
    Location: US

    Web Views: 119
    Downloads: 1