(e.g. yourname@email.com)

Forgot Password?

    Or login with Facebook

    Update: Seven Marines killed and eight injured in Nevada incident

    Private First Class Joshua M. Martino

    Photo By Lance Cpl. Kris Daberkoe | Private First Class Joshua M. Martino, 19, of Clearfield, Pa., served as a mortarman...... read more read more



    Courtesy Story

    II Marine Expeditionary Force

    MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – New information is now available about the explosion that killed seven 2nd Marine Division Marines and injuring several other Marines and a Navy Corpsman.

    Another Marine who was injured has now been reported, and one Marine and one sailor are now considered very seriously injured; four others are seriously injured and one Marine has been treated for minor injuries and one has been released.

    The identities of those killed will be announced 24 hours after primary next of kin notification. The status of those injured will be provided as it becomes available.

    The fatal incident occurred during a training exercise shortly before 10 p.m. Monday at Hawthorne Army Depot, Nev., killing seven servicemembers and injuring eight others with 2nd Marine Division.

    The injured were transported to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno, Nevada for treatment and further evaluation.

    Brigadier Gen. Jim Lukeman, 2nd Marine Division Commanding General conducted a press conference today and shared his comments on the incident with attending media.

    “We send our prayers and condolences to the families of the Marines and sailors who have been killed and injured in this tragic accident,” Lukeman said. “Our first priority is to provide them with the support they need during this very difficult time, and we’re doing that right now.”

    Though the cause of the accident is currently under investigation, Lukeman was able to provide some preliminary insight.

    “Let me tell you what we know at this time … The Marines were conducting live fire and maneuver training at the Hawthorne army depot,” he explained. “…a (60mm) mortar round exploded in the mortar tube causing the deaths of seven and injuring (now eight) others. We don’t know yet what caused this malfunction.”

    The cause of the incident is under investigation, and more information will be provided as it becomes available.

    A transcript of the press conference will be made available upon request.

    The identities of those killed will be announced 24 hours after primary next of kin notification.



    Date Taken: 03.19.2013
    Date Posted: 03.19.2013 21:21
    Story ID: 103760
    Location: CAMP LEJEUNE, NC, US 

    Web Views: 729
    Downloads: 2
    Podcast Hits: 0