News: ISAF assists Afghans after gas explosion in Kabul
KABUL, Afghanistan – Firefighters and medical personnel from the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) supported Afghan emergency services after an explosion occurred at a Kabul area propane gas company Wednesday.
An electrical short circuit is believed to be the cause of the explosion. Several Afghans civilians were killed and many more were injured as a result of the incident.
Firefighting teams from various ISAF installations responded to the scene to provide assistance to Kabul firefighters as they worked for several hours to combat the blaze and treat the injured.
Some patients were taken to an ISAF medical facility for initial treatment. Coalition medical experts are also working to help determine where patients should be moved for ongoing care.
“While this is a tragic accident that affected many families, it shows that in times of crisis our emergency services must band together to respond quickly and effectively to protect the lives and property of the Afghan people,” said Gen. John R. Allen, commander, International Security Assistance Force. “My heart goes out to the families of those who died or were injured in this accident. We were honored to support the brave Afghan fire fighters and emergency services personnel who responded to this blaze.”
ISAF is also planning to meet with Afghan government and emergency services officials to determine if additional assistance is required in the aftermath of this tragedy.